AN APPEAL RECEIVED THROUGH THE WEBSITE CONTACT FORM:
Please can the information below be circulated around staff & volunteers, I would like to inform members of Strathdearn Community group about our current outreach, Cycling UK “national cycling charity” want to make it easier for community groups to cycle together and pass on the joy and wellbeing from doing so.
To do this my job is to connect with community groups and offer them free training so that they can be confident at helping those around them to grow the confidence and love of cycling together as friends, families and individuals.
Cycling UK are providing “FREE- no strings” training for community leaders, volunteers & coordinators. We want to make it easier for groups to uptake social cycling activities on their terms & we can give you the training and skills to do so.
Cycling UK’s want to help set up cycling activities at local levels, we call these “ Community Cycle Clubs” but you can name your group to suit your directions These are grassroots focused on increasing participation and confidence rather than sport alone, we aim to contact established community groups and provide them with access to training, tailored support and insurance so they can begin running their own cycling activities and challenging local barriers.
Cycling UK worked with 81 community groups across Scotland during September and October last year to deliver the Big Bike Revival, a 6 week intervention aimed at encouraging people to cycle for everyday journeys. Our intervention seen over 500 events and activities take place during these months. We would like to support more community organisations engage in cycling activity by developing Community Cycle Clubs. Some more information on Community Cycle Clubs and how to become one is detailed below.
What is a Community Cycle Club?
• Community Cycle Clubs are developed by Cycling UK to support existing groups and community organisations to deliver cycling activities that are open to all.
• Community Cycle Clubs offer activities such as led rides for beginners, bike maintenance and bike recycling. They provide a social environment to gain confidence and skills on a bike, improve fitness and have fun!
• Cycling UK provides support tailored to their needs through access to equipment, training, insurance and advice. They are part of our UK wide network of community clubs, cycling groups, and thousands of individual members that support people from all backgrounds to access cycling.
• Community Cycle Clubs are created by working closely with established community groups so that cycling activities can be tailored to meet the needs and interests of local people that have already come together for a common purpose.
Why become a Community Cycle Club?
There are many benefits to becoming a CCC, some of which are listed below;
• Dedicated Development Officer time offering knowledge specific to region and local authority area
• Access to free training and development opportunities (First Aid Training, Cycle Ride Leader Training and Trail Side Repair Training from Feb-April)
• Free Cycling UK Affiliation worth £75 with subscription to monthly Cycle magazine, newsletters, shop discounts etc.
• Free starter pack for your Community Cycle Club including First Aid Kit, Multi-tool and other essential start up accessories.
• Networking opportunities – Regional networking events taking place in Scotland in March 2017
• Information and signposting to initiatives and programmes beneficial to your activities
If you are interested in becoming a Community Cycle Club or for more information, please get in touch.
Big Bike Revival Development Officer North Scotland
Direct Line: 07887999567361 [remove "999" from middle of telephone number]
I am based in Inverness