Local Churches

Dalarossie Church

dalarossieDalarossie Church (OS NW 767 242) 3 miles upstream from Bridgend on old A9

Site of an 8th century church dedicated to the Celtic saint Fergus. Dalarossie is said to be derived from Gaelic 'Dail Fhearguis' the field or dale of Fergus.

Inside the church is the baptismal font, formed in the shape of a rough hewn stone bowl, which was found in the glebe adjacent to the churchyard. Also inside, by the door to the vestry, stands an old upright stone slab known as the 'Priests Stone' -Clach an t'Sagairt. In former times it was used as a hand- fasting stone eg. marriage contracts could be sealed with a handclasp through the hole in such a stone. It was also known as the 'bargaining stone', possibly being also used in the witnessing of local land transactions.

The present church was built in 1790 and later repaired and altered in 1856 by the architect George Rhind. Presbytery suggested that the external stairs to the galleries be replaced by internal ones. It was considerably altered in 1904 by W.L. Carruthers to its present interior appearance. The galleries are no longer there. Electricity was introduced in 1958 and more efficient heaters in 1992. The stone steps to the left of the gate take us back to the horse drawn carriages of yesteryear.

The small attatched building at the west gable was built as a watch-house c1820 so that new graves could be guarded against body-snatchers.

Church services are held at Dalarossie Church April-October at 10.30am on the first and third Sundays of each month weather permitting, if heavy snow then service is changed to Tomatin Church.

Further information about times of services, events, meetings etc can be found on the linked churches website:

www.strathsnairnanddearn.co.uk

Tomatin Church

tomatin churchTomatin (OS NH 803 283) On old A9 going through Tomatin village

Built 1903, is a fine example of the 'tin' churches erected at the turn of the century by the United Free Church to serve as mission churches and halls in areas of new population.

Many new workers were required for the building of the railway which opened in 1898, as well as the new road and the new distillery.

When the United Free Church reunited with the Church of Scotland in 1929, the tin church became one of the three parish church buildings of Moy, Dalarossie and Tomatin.

Church services are held at Tomatin Church at 10.30am between April-October on the fourth and fifth (if there is one) Sundays of each month.

On the Second Sunday of the month an All age service is held in the Strathdearn Village Hall at 10.30am.

Further information about times of services, events, meetings etc can be found on the linked churches website:

www.strathsnairnanddearn.co.uk

Tomatin Free Presbyterian Church

tomatin free presbyterian churchTomatin Free Presbyterian Church

Evangelical, Calvinistic, Reformed, Scriptural.

Minister: Rev George G. Hutton

Tel: 01463 712872

Services: Sabbath Day usually every three weeks

For precise dates contact Rev G Hutton or see website www.fpchurch.org.uk

Communion: Annually Stratherrick or Tomatin last Sabbath in August

 

Who do I ask?

If you'd like to know more about anything you see on this website please contact us on questions@strathdearn.org.

Follow Us on Facebook

View the Strathdearn Facebook PageBecome a fan of our Facebook page and keep up to date with local news and events.

Visit our page

Catch us on Twitter!

Follow us on Twitter!Follow us on Twitter.

Follow us on Twitter